Remembering, Sadness and Food

My mum has been dead for a year and I been thinking about her a lot. It's a mixture of sadness and wanting to remember the things I really enjoyed about her. 

The memories of both my parents are intertwined with food. Which I know is quite typical in our culture, but it still is extra challenging for me right now as I am trying to heal my hyperinsulinemia, 

I find it interesting that when I want to focus on remembering my mum I first go to food related ideas. I remember the special German foods she loved to eat as rare treats so I planned a lunch for a few of us who knew her. 

Now I am thinking and wondering what other ways can I celebrate her that are not related to food. I have a feeling that answering this one question fully is something that make take me quite awhile. 

How do I remember my parents without food? How do I spend time with friends without food? How do the holidays and other celebrations happen without being solely focused on food? Vacations and food ..?

It's not that I want to or even think I can eliminate food-eating-specialness-celebrating from my life but I also would like it to stop being the center-point. 

I get very tired of thinking about food, however I know from the past if I try to ignore or avoid awareness then I will gain weight.As usual it comes back to awareness and identity. Both works in progress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment