Checking Metabolic Health

I had some carb-loaded food, potatoes and bread, and any sugar that was snuck into the food, this weekend at a German restaurant. 

I took advantage of this occurrence and measured my blood glucose 2 hours after my meal as a proxy to assess my metabolic health.  Two hours post eating my reading was 141 which is on the high end of normal. That was nice to know. The next day that I was carrying an extra couple of pounds of water weight from one carby meal but I was still in moderate ketosis. This may be due to the timing of the meal, it was lunch not dinner. Time of eating does make a difference to insulin response.

I am fortunate in that I am not a type2 diabetic and I have never had the high blood glucose numbers that many T2D struggle with, however I did notice my numbers creeping up over the past few years to the high end of normal. This is one of the reasons I made my big way of life change last August. 

I think being at the high end of normal as a sign of my hyperinsulinemia - my average insulin levels trend higher than a person with a 'normal' insulin response. Although I do not enjoy pricking my fingers at all for these tests I find them very motivating. They inspire me to make the lowest carb choices I can the majority of the time. My body does notice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment