My relationship with my scale

There exist many differing opinions about how or if to use a scale. I am not here to convince anyone to step on a scale if they don't want to... I can only speak about what works for me.

At this time in my life I must weigh daily. The only time I don't is when I am traveling and do not have access to a scale. Over the years I have noted a very distinctive pattern to my behavior, if I don't weigh myself -- I gain weight.

If my goal is to get more healthy which includes losing weight then I have to step on the scale and record what I see. If I don't I fall into complete denial within a week. My scale is a objective tool I use to remain awake and aware. This is key for me, I need to pay attention and I need to pay attention daily. The scale is one way to do that.

Since I graph my results like the big data nerd that I am I do not pay too much attention to any given day. My interest is the trend, am I trending down? Then I try to be patient and cheer myself on. If I don't like what I see in my numbers over several days or weeks then I use that as a reason to shake things up and try something different.

It can be hard to see it as objective information all the time but I keep trying. Yet another part of me in progress.


0 comments:

Post a Comment