flying standby

I had an new experience this week. A good friend got me a standby ticket to get to palm springs for an extra visit to my parents.

It was my first time flying standby and I found that all the information I had gathered had not really prepared me for what is was like. I think it's like gambling, I actually felt a rush at times wondering if I was going to make it on the plane. Or the next or the one after that.

Turns out that I'm not any more lucky at getting on a plane for standby than I am at games of chance. But it was an interesting experience, people are so kind. For me though it was all "standing by" and no flying. It was really odd to make it to the gate[s] and then end up leaving the airport anyway having failed to get on a plane. Like moving backwards through time or something.

It really showed me the story I had embedded 'go to airport, get on plane, arrive new place'. It was rather fun making room for a new path, like a mental yoga stretch.

So now I have a free weekend I didn't know I would have and I am really looking forward to it. It feels absolutely luxurious, and I hope to really experience it mindfully. I am sad about missing my mother's birthday but I know another trip will work out in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment