cherry recipe wrestle

Well the cherries are all off our tree, there is a teeny amount left in the freezer but that's it. Before they all got eaten I made a second, much improved clafouti that I want to share with you all. I will be tweaking this some more, although it will get made with berries or peaches or some other fruit. [It won't technically be a clafouti then, oh well]

I cobbled this together from many sources. My desired food combination of alternate natural sweeteners but keeping whole wheat and dairy seems rather uncommon. I am not dairy free or gluten free, I just don't cook with sugar but I don't have allergies and I am not a vegetarian, but whole grains and keeping away from white flour and rice are also important to me --well it seems that not many share my category. [ok, I have no category] Thus I figure recipes out myself a lot of the time.

Hmmm, I just realized that alternate natural might not make sense to anyone who isn't me. These are the sweeteners with which I cook: palm sugar, agave nectar, rice syrup, maple [sugar or syrup] and barley malt syrups. Some more than others. [I will also use stevia to sweeten drinks like lemonade or cocoa] I have an uneasy feeling I am forgetting one, which I am sure I will remember as soon as I post this.

One of the fun things about clafouti is there is no 'right' or 'one' way. It's a bit like recipes for bread [or rice] pudding, every family seems to make it different.

[Cherry] Clafouti v. 1

preheat oven to 375 and butter a round cake pan or ceramic baking dish

Mix together until light in color, 3 eggs and 1/2 c palm sugar. [the color should lighten]
Add 8 T of melted butter gradually, while mixing. [I think 5 T would be a better amount here]
Add 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour and mix until incorporated
Slowly add 1 c milk, keep mixing
Add 1 t flavoring [with cherries use almond]

The batter should be smooth.

Pour batter in pan, place 2 c fruit on batter [be careful if you don't pit the cherries], and bake until set and lightly browned about 30-40 minutes.
Let sit 10 minutes before eating.

While this is yummy fresh from the oven I am also firmly in the camp that believes that leftover clafouti is a near perfect breakfast and pretty good for dessert the next night as well. You decide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment