kitchen distraction

When you start thinking 'if I chop my leg off maybe it won't itch anymore' then you know it's time for some serious distraction.

As my poison ivy rash runs rampant on my left leg and I grow thick headed from the antihistamine I am so grateful for the cool turn in the weather. Not only does the cool weather lessen the itching a bit but it gave me a bit of space to bake with some fabulous summer fruit.

Nectarine Galette [I'll be playing more with this one]

Filling:
Gently toss together.
4 ripe nectarines, thickly sliced
1/4 c coconut sugar
1 T WW pastry flour

Crust:
[ very much a work in progress, you may want to choose your favorite crust recipe instead]
sift together and chill:
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/4 t salt

rub
8 T cold butter into dry mix above
until it resembles crumbly meal

combine:

1/4 c sour cream
1 t lemon juice
4 T ice water

with you hands toss this liquid with the flour/butter mixture, form into a flattened ball, cover with waxed paper and chill at least an hour.

After chilling roll out a crust 15" in diameter. Place crust in tart pan or on pizza stone, fill center with fruit slices, then bring the edges haphazardly up and over the filling to form a rustic tart i.e. a galette.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40-55 minutes until bubbly, brown and nectarines slightly caramelized.

Cool on a rack. If you care for glaze, brush on some peach or apricot jam over the warm tart when it comes out of the oven.

Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, barely sweetened greek yogurt, nothing....

Notes:
-even though it's cooler today I baked this in my toaster oven instead of turning on the big oven. This worked well.
-the dough as it is written was yummy but very soft, another chilling stage might have been needed [or roll faster]
-This could be tweaked for any stone fruit, I can't wait until plums are ready for it.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment