Running report wk 1

Those of you with internal calenders or good memories looked at the title of this post and thought WTF? surely more than a week has passed since we were all stunned by the running announcement made on this very blog the 4th day of April. ahem.

You are correct of course my 'week one' stretched out way longer than even I could have pessimistically predicted. They encourage you to not move onto the next week until you feel that your body has adjusted. At this rate who knows how long week 2 will be but I will update as long as I continue the experiment.

So Couch to 5k, week one consists of 3 runs [or more] with one rest day in between in which you warm up with a brisk walk for 5 minutes, [run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds] x 8, cool down walk for 5 minutes. About 30 minutes of exercise and I do minimal stretches before and after.

To say my body was shocked by this new activity is a paltry understatement. To say that some days I hated it would be true. To say I was proud and amazed when I realized I was running for about a half a mile would be accurate. oh and the learning. I can feel new neurons connecting every time mostly when a part of my body gets woken up by the activity and says 'what on earth do you think you are doing to me?' I have only run outside once, but that will change, especially when I am traveling.

I love the first 2 podcasts, blessings on you Robert Ullrey. It is such a relief to not have to try to remember when an interval starts or stops. I am also realizing that I need to be sure to get recovery time built into my week and listen better to my body. This is all great stuff, although I still do not know if I like running. Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment