summer solstice 2010 and cherries already

brilliant, it's summer solstice already. Although we are having a humid and rather gloomy day thus far still the glorious light is always a reason to celebrate. Just last night I was invited out for dinner, I hesitated realizing I needed to spend time in the garden as well then I realized it's light until about 9:30! I can easily eat dinner out and still get an hour in garden before dark. The joys of summer solstice.

This is also a busy time of year since it coincides not only with one of my best friend's birthday but gay pride is also held this time of year in Minneapolis. 2010 has the extra addition of the UU general assembly which I will probably miss entirely, it was just the wrong week for me. oh well.

Also this weekend I started picking cherries from our tree, weeks ahead of last year. See the spring was really early this year, I did not imagine it. [too bad that didn't result in my getting my garden in early -- don't ask] So since it was not too hot I turned on the the oven and made clafouti again with my cooking cherries. Here it is version 2:


[Cherry] Clafoutis v. 2

preheat oven to 375 and butter a round cake pan or ceramic baking dish,

Mix together on medium until light in colour and rather foamy, 3 eggs and 1/2 c coconut sugar.

[Basically I just keep the kitchen aid going on low as I add the rest to the egg/sugar mixture.]


Add 5 T of melted butter gradually, while mixing.
Add 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour and mix until incorporated
Mix together 1/2 c yogurt with 1 T maple syrup and 1/2 c water, then pour this mixture slowly into batter
Add 2 t flavoring [with cherries use almond]

The batter should be smooth.

Pour batter in pan, place 1.5 c cherries, sour or sweet, on batter
Your choice as to whether you pit the cherries, it's traditional [and easier] to leave the pits in but then warn people before eating, if you plan on sharing it that is.
Bake until set and lightly browned about 30-40 minutes.

Let sit 10 minutes before eating.

Some claim clafoutis is only good fresh from the oven and it is delicious. However I am firmly in the camp that believes that leftover clafoutis is a near perfect breakfast and pretty good for dessert the next night as well. I would be happy to eat your leftovers if you disagree.

0 comments:

Post a Comment